Art Exhibition Triumphs for Hospice

Our Ladys Hospice in Blackrock raised over €15,000 in three days with the help of Carysfort Galleries.

Around 400 people visited the annual Blackrock Art Exhibition, which was opened by Minister Mary Hanafin, over the weekend of the 5th, 6th and 7th of November. In its fourth year, the event is important in raising much needed funds for the Hospice.
The Art Exhibition was set up by Paul Cramp of Carysfort Galleries in order to “bring a sustainable income to the Hospice”. Cramp donates the 40% commission that he would normally earn, through the sale of an art piece, to the Hospice while the remaining 60% goes to the artist.
Mairead Dillon, events coordinator, states how the funds raised from the annual Blackrock Art Exhibition goes towards the parts of the Hospice not directly funded by the Health Service Executive such as Occupational Therapy and Hydrotherapy.
The Art Exhibition showcased works of paintings, sculptures, still life’s and mixed media by twenty eight different Irish artists.
Renowned Irish contemporary, established and emerging artists were showcased in three different sections of the Hospice through the weekend. The Emerging Artist section was new to 2010 and allowed less well known artists to have the opportunity to display their work on a professional level.
Featured artists included, guest landscape artist, Eugene Conway, established artists Sarah Davidson, Charlotte Curley, Gina McKenna Burns, PJ Lynch, Kenneth Webb and his daughter Susan Webb and emerging artists such as Fiona Roche, Lisa Lasko and Siobhan Dillon to name but a few.
The Exhibition is important for Irish artists in presenting their work. Paul Cramp describes it as a prestigious event where “it’s good to get your name in as having done the exhibition”. It was visited by art enthusiasts, art collectors and friends of the Blackrock Hospice.
A great number of paintings were sold, ranging in price from €55.00 for Siobhan Nic Fhionnlaoith’s ink on card, Anna, to €500.00 for Charlotte Curley’s still life, Blue Bottle, right up to Eugene Conway’s oil on canvas, Autumn Junction which was sold for €1900.00. Eugene Conway, who sold three of his ten paintings on display, also donated his painting Summer Greene’s, valued at €650.00, to be raffled off at the Exhibition. All proceeds from the raffle were also donated to the Hospice.
Our Ladys Hospice will be holding their next major fundraising event in their Hospice in Harold’s Cross. “Light up a Life” will take place in the first week of December this year. Bernard Dunne, retired professional Irish boxer, will be a guest at the Light up a Life Ceremony of Remembrance which will take place on Sunday the 5th of December.
The Blackrock Hospice “is a purpose built modern facility”, situated around a beautiful garden, and is important in providing palliative care; from rehabilitation to end of life care for its in-patients, day patients and home care patients. The funds raised from the annual Blackrock Art Exhibition help continue the important work that Our Ladys Hospice in Blackrock does.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s